BEFORE you use any Interactive Tools within the ERW, you need to follow the procedure described on this page.
Interactive Tools on the ERW make use of two methods of connection to provide access. These are :-
- Web Browser
As part of the initiation of an Interactive Tool, the system makes use of a small program (.JAR) file to establish the connection. It is this program which is initiated when you click the Click here to connect link during the use of an Interactive Tool.
Connections to these tools work best in the Chrome browser.
Follow the below steps (both Web Browser and X11) to set up your system to enable both of these methods of connection. This procedure only needs to be run once on your system. After this procedure has been successfully completed, all interactive tools can be connected to straight away after clicking the Click here to connect link.
This procedure must also be followed to enable connection to the CMIS Sync service.
To make the ‘Click here to connect’ a 1-click operation, you must:-
- Associate .JAR files to a runtime environment.
- Set your browser to allow .JAR files to be downloaded and executed automatically
1. Associate .JAR files to Java runtime environment.
In Windows, select Start->Default Programs->Associate a file type or protocol with a program, then in the list .jar must be set as follows :-
If you need to Change program, it needs to look like this:-
2. Set your browser to automatically run .JAR files
To set your browser to download and run .JAR files automatically, (assuming you are using Chrome) :-
- Initiate an Interactive Tool.
- When the tool is ready, Select the Click here to connect link to initiate your interactive tool.
- When the notification appears :-
- Right-click on the notification and select Always open files of this type :- This is not mandatory, but does remove the future notifications appearing as shown above.
- Select Keep. The tool will now start, and you should not see the notification message again the next time you start an interactive tool. If you select Discard you will not be able to connect to the Interactive Tool.
To enable connection to X11 based interactive tools, you must download and install an X server utility such as the one listed below. Click the below link to initiate download:-
The X11 server utility MUST be running on your system before you select Click here to connect link to initiate your Interactive Tool. Note: the X11 utility must be started each time, before you connect to an X11 tool. If you do not start the X Server utility you will be unable to connect to the Interactive Tool, although it will still be up and running.