By bringing together scientists involved in environmental and/or laboratory studies of radiation effects, allied ecological fields and radiation protection specialists we hoped to:
- discuss field based studies of effects of radiation at low chronic dose rates
- investigate the available radiation effects data for low dose rates and consider how these can be incorporated into improved radiation protection systems;
- discuss current methods for deriving numerical dose rate benchmarks for application in environmental assessments;
- consider uncertainties in dose estimation including measurements in the field
- start to understand the basis behind some of the contrasting results and interpretations on the effects of radiation in the environment;
- agree future research priorities and mechanisms whereby data can be shared.
- gain a greater understanding of the impacts of radiation on wildlife